May 19, 2011

To Err is Human, however it will not be tolerated!

Some people are not always sure how to spell or word things.  I personally always check (if possible) before I write/type a word I question the spelling of.  My assumption is that some MD office or pharmacy staffers don't have that luxury, they need to get their PA forms to me ASAP so they can move on to something else.  These mistakes are my favorites.  I keep a running notation when I come across these gems.  Here we go.

Perineal allergies: this was written on an Allegra (allergy med) request.  I don't think this will help the patient, who is female, as I doubt her perineum is causing her allergies.  Note to office: it's Perennial

"She did not get no relife from that drug": so the drug did not grant extra life (?), and 'did not get no', HELLO, that isn't proper grammar!!!!!!!-Mr.CooksALot uses me as his spelling/grammar verification and thinks I should have been an English teacher.

Quote from an RN (that's what she told me she was) I was speaking to on the phone: "Well algia is pain, what's the difference between post herpetic neuralgia and myalgia?"  (really?)I told her we could only approve a Lidoderm patch for diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage) or post herpetic neuralgia (nerve pain resulting from shingles or herpes) prior to this question. 
We went back and forth on this one until she yelled at me that the patient just had surgery where they had to crack his chest and he was in pain!  I transferred her call to RedBull because I was getting nowhere. So, RedBull asked her what the application site would be, if they were going to put the patches over the incision site.  She had no idea but argued again that he was having algia-which is pain. I think she told me this about 15 times!

I got a request for a birth control pill called FemCon Fe which is chewable.  The office had written on the form that NuvaRing was tried and eventually discontinued because it wasn't chewable.  This made me wonder if the patient tried to chew it.  I certainly hope not, but would not be surprised if she did.

Just the other day, we got a request for Chantix which is a smoking cessation medication and the office wrote that it was to treat the patient's ADHD.  Hmmm.....not so sure that is gonna work.

Antibiotics treat infections, I think most people in general know this.  Singulair, Clarinex, Xyzal, Allegra, Allegra-D, and Claritin-D are all antihistamines, they do not treat upper respiratory infections!  Never have I heard of an antihistamine clearing up an infection on its own, yet we get these requests and the patient isn't on an antibiotic.  I see this weekly at the very least.

FYI to certain MD offices-crying at school doesn't require an Adderall prescription, this can usually be treated with a hug, reassuring words, and a tissue from a teacher or the parent.  I don't know how this constitutes medical rationale in your book, but in ours, that doesn't fly. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts?