Jun 20, 2011

Vacation Summary

Today is my first day back to work after my vacation-or I guess it was a staycation as I didn't travel anywhere out of town.  My tests came back as normal, with no indication of cancer or a cyst.  Yay!  Here are the things I did while away from the madness of the cubicle jungle:

Went to a minor league baseball game: the nieces and nephews irritated the people in front of us from start to finish.  How you ask?  They cheered.  That's it.  My thought was this, "if you are attending a baseball game, people yell, people cheer, it gets loud, this is to be expected.  We are not in a library, we're at an outdoor baseball game.  If you don't like my nieces, nephews, and my kids yelling move to other seats.

Picked raspberries every morning in my backyard: yummy

Stayed up late watching interesting shows like River Monsters, Prophets of Doom, and various movies such as: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, High Fidelity, and Letters to Juliet.

Slept in until (gasp) 7:30ish daily, sometimes 8am!: not usually a frequent occurrence, I'm usually up 2 hours before that.  I loved it!

Made two batches of limoncello: lots of lemon peeling but our efforts will pay off.  MrCooksALot did one batch that steeps for 8 days, and my batch takes 40 days.  I will be happy to report the outcome after it steeps.  The countdown is at 5 days and 38 days to go.

Made strawberry lemonade: If you have 18 lemons that have been liberated of their yellow peel, you have lots of lemons to use, so what better use than lemonade?  I made just under a gallon of fresh squeezed lemonade and added chopped strawberries to it.  The kids went nuts over it on Father's Day.  Luckily, I had enough presence of mind to hide the second half gallon jar so it wasn't gone in less than 10 minutes.

Helped Mr.CooksALot make smoked salmon: it came out a bit salty, but the slab of salmon we had was on the thinner side.  It was sooooooo good with eggs and Crystal hot sauce!  We also used it to fill portabella mushroom caps along with onions, celery, garlic, breadcrumbs, and manchego cheese.  YUM!!!!

Finally went to the Farmer's Market:  we bought peaches, cucumbers, 8lbs of oranges, locally made cheese, Thai basil, baby bok choy, squash, celery, and decided that organic eggs were not for us since a dozen costs about $5 and that's absurd when I can get 24 eggs at Costco for about half that amount.  I have been wanting to go to Farmer's Market for years but we just haven't been able to make it.  Now that we've gone, we're hooked and will be back weekly if we can swing it.

Made Cinnamon Rolls and Cherry Cobbler: double yum!

I did finish my knitting project but didn't touch the pajamas so I will work on them little by little this week.  I must say, I really had a nice week away from work.  I didn't want to come back & if it wasn't for the fact that I get a paycheck, I would have stayed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts?