Jun 7, 2011

Things to Ponder

I recently got an email that asked some good questions about random things regarding terminology for things/people.  Here are a couple examples from the email and I added some of my own:

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes? 
Why are people who ride bikes called cyclists/bicyclists but those who race cars are not racists? 
The plural for mouse is mice but the plural for house isn't hice, it's houses, so why can't we say mouses?
Then, there is moose and goose.  They aren't pluralized the same either, what gives?
Underwear, why is the term a pair when it is one item? 
I think jeans/shorts are a pair due to the existence of legs, but I'm not sure. 

Who came up with these inconsistencies anyway?  I demand to know. Now!  Hello?!  Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?

**This has been a public service of PA Honeybee on gin and Fanta Toronja that lost its fizz** (NO, I'm not working today, so put your mind at ease.  No drinking on the job for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts?