Jul 5, 2011

Chewing while on the phone

Happy belated 4th of July!  I hope all enjoyed the 3-day weekend.  I did, but it went entirely too fast!  Late nights watching fireworks don't make for wonderful (let alone easy) early mornings where one must wake up to be at work by 6am or earlier.
 
On to business: my first call of the day was a doctor who wanted to speak with one of the reviewers on an acne medication denial.  I answered the phone and while I'm stating my name, department, then ask how I can help, all I can hear is chewing and smacking loud and clear in my ear.  Dr. then states his name and doesn't seem to be able to get through a sentence without punctuating pauses with smacking and/or chewing followed by the occasional gulping of a mystery drink.  Now, I know a lot of us can be pressed for time and need to try to get a bite in when we can, but does it have to happen while you're talking to me? 

As I have stated in previous posts, I have a very vivid imagination. While I hear these gross sounds coming from his mouth, my imagination is kicked into gear with all sorts of unsavory images.  This morning, I imagined pints of spit flowing from his chomping jaws as he chewed and smacked away on what I imagine to be either peanut butter right of a spoon or a giant sandwich oozing condiments.  Bluto from the Popeye cartoons came to mind as well although this MD didn't sound like him at all.  I also imagined the gulping was not of water, but a giant mug of soda or beer.  Why?  I don't know, but the sounds fueled my imagination and that's what I came up with.  Supremely disgusting, I know.  I did do a couple impressions as I told co-workers about the experience...and then I got grossed out all over again.  Blech.

(tongue sticking out of mouth in disgust)

This leads me to the general question: Why would someone do this while on the phone?  How does it not occur to someone that this is supremely rude and could render someone nauseated?  I must admit later on this morning, I got caught with a bite of granola bar in my mouth and had to answer my phone.  I have the decency to at least do my very best to hide the fact I'm talking with food in my mouth and sound like my normal PA Honeybee self.  (Patting myself of the back) Ha! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts?